As 2017 comes to an end, we wanted to reflect on all the great work being done by and for the Chelsea community. Here are our top five highlights for SRSLY Chelsea in 2017:
- First, SRSLY could not have the impact it does without the support of all of our volunteers! In 2017, more than 200 youth and adult volunteers gave nearly 2,000 hours! They helped with everything, including the New Year’s Eve Party, SRSLY Cinema, Project Sticker Shock, attending SRSLY meetings, the Youth Empowerment Solutions (YES) program, and more. Thank you to everyone who has volunteered with SRSLY this year!
- SRSLY once again attended the National Leadership Forum in Washington, D.C. – the nation’s largest training event for community-based substance abuse prevention coalitions. Eight SRSLY Chelsea youth members attended the conference and even presented a workshop to coalition leaders on how to engage youth in prevention work! They also were able to meet with their local Congress representatives to talk about alcohol and drug issues affecting Chelsea.
- SRSLY’s Safe Homes list continues to grow, now with 285 homes. A “SRSLY Safe Home” is a home in which the family has committed to providing a safe and substance-free environment for their children and for any other youth who spend time there. Kids and adults can be confident that minors under the age of 21 will not be offered or allowed to use drugs or alcohol while they are in these families’ homes.
- SRSLY is celebrating that more than 675 pounds of unused medication has been safely disposed of using the Big Red Barrel program at the Chelsea Police Department. This medicine take-back program allows anyone to safely dispose of unused medications anonymously to help prevent youth medicine abuse.
- This year, SRSLY created its Resolution to Protect Our Community’s Youth from the Marijuana Industry, and more than 185 individuals and organizations have signed on. Our members also presented this information to more than 25 local municipalities and civic groups.
Thanks to everyone who has been part of SRSLY this year! Community support is essential to preventing youth substance use. And because we are community-based, we rely upon financial support from the members of our community.
You can help SRSLY continue to provide free events and programs to Chelsea youth by making a donation online today at https://giving.stjoeshealth.org/srsly
Your gift is an investment in Chelsea youth that could pay off for years to come!